Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Gifts

As Dan and I prepared for Maddie's first Birthday, we met at ToysRUs during our lunch break. We were on a mission to purchase Maddie's presents. We wanted to give her a gift that she would use and enjoy because of who she is and how she is uniquely wired. We walked up and down the aisles talking about the things she likes and enjoys, her personality, and how different she is from Luke. We finally settled on two gifts and we were so excited because they were perfect for her.

On the big day, as posted below, she seemed to enjoy every card and every present she received. However, I think the best part for me was later as she sat on the floor playing with the gifts she received from Dan and I. We love her so much, we are so thankful for her, and we wanted to give her presents that were special to her because of who she is. As I watched her play, my heart was so full because we had gotten it right. She loved them!

Then my thoughts turned to God, my heavenly Father. He loves me, he is thankful for me, and he too gives gifts. He has blessed me with eternal salvation, a loving family, a great job, a unique personality and giftedness, and the list goes on. I thought about how full his heart must be when I use the gifts he has chosen for me. I pondered how delighted he must be when I’m grateful for the special things he has placed in my life.

Of course, then my thoughts turned to the times when I'm not thankful and when I'm not grateful. I thought about the times I’ve treated my blessings as if they were burdens. I wondered how much that grieves Him. I thought about how that would grieve me if my children thought my gifts were burdens. The ache in my heart was tremendous. The Holy Spirit had opened my eyes. In those ungrateful moments, I realized my behavior resembled that of a spoiled brat. I was so ashamed.

I'm so glad that God has chosen to relate to us as Father. Our minds can’t comprehend him but we can comprehend the parent/child relationship. As I've become a parent, he has been able to reveal himself to me in ways I couldn't grasp before. This parental journey continues to help me understand God's character and his love. My love is imperfect but SO deep for my children. I would do anything for them. My heavenly Father's love is perfect and he sent his only son to die for me. I'll be honest; I can't fully wrap my mind around a love like that. Can you?

This is one of the ways God works in my life. There were no burning bushes and no voices from Heaven. It was just me in my kitchen, watching Maddie, and realizing how great my God is and how great his love is for me. How cool is that?!

1 comment:

Julie Tiemann said...

VERY cool. Great thoughts, Misti.

So, curious minds want to know - what were the gifts you gave Maddie? :)