Friday, July 13, 2012

A Lesson in Generosity

Maddie came back from the beach with a fever. Boo! I would've preferred just the sand that we accidentally dragged into the house but Maddie brought home so much more. So, we had a sick day at home the Monday after vacation. As we were sitting at the table eating our morning snack, I read this blog post at Lil Light O'Mine and decided it was an awesome idea!

I contemplated taking action at that moment...we did have a free day and all. But with a day off of work and being confined to the house, I could play catch up on those chores that were neglected while we were at the beach.

But, then I looked at Maddie and asked her if she wanted to make cookies to give away and she said, "YES!"

So, I didn't think about it another second. We jumped in the car, gathered the few supplies we needed from the store, and then got home and got to baking!


She loves making things with lots and lots of SUGAR!!


At first I wasn't sure what shapes we should make. I went to the store looking for a cookie cutter to give me inspiration but I found nada! Apparently baking cookies in the middle of the summer (and a heat wave) isn't on everyone's to-do list. As I thought about the cookie cutters I have at home, it hit me. July 4th was in two days, so we should make stars. Lots and lots of stars!


We decorated the cookies in red, white, and blue icing. Maddie wanted to give icing cookies a try which was new for us. Usually when we bake cookies together, this is the point in the process where she ditches me for a different activity. But she hung in there like a champ!





We put the cookies in clear goodie bags with white tissue paper 
and tied it close with some blue and red ribbon.


We hung a flag on each bag that said, 
"Some Stars to add a little twinkle to your holiday. From: The Mancini's"

Then my plan got squirely. I wanted to hang out at the mailboxes and give the cookies out as my neighbors came home from work. Dan and I had plans to go the Braves game, so that evening was out.

My plan was then to hand them out on Tuesday after we ate dinner, but a lighting and thunder storm rolled in just as we finished up eating. 

We tried to hand some out late Wednesday morning before we left to go to Dan's parents for lunch, but it was too early to be ringing the neighbor's doorbell on a holiday. 

I was feeling quite sad. We were completely striking out when it came to actually handing out the cookies. Shouldn't that be the easy part?? If our family ended up eating the cookies, it seemed like the lesson of generosity was going to be lost.

When we got home in the early evening on Wednesday, I was sure none of our neighbors would be home. However, the security guard who patrols our neighborhood was stuck in his car. Not a fun holiday activity! So, I discussed a new plan with Maddie, we grabbed a bag of cookies, and found the security guard.

He was so surprised and grateful for the cookies. His reaction made Maddie look at me and say, "Lets go get the rest of the cookies and give them all away." Sweet!


As we walked around the neighborhood, we actually found people out and about and we were able to give away all of our cookies. When someone would park in their driveway, Maddie would start running and telling me to hurry up so we could give them cookies. So fun!

Our mantra was, "Why are we giving away cookies? Because it surprises people, makes them smile, and makes them happy!"

Which in the process made us smile and happy... Yes, it is better to give then receive. Woo-hoo!

1 comment:

Julie Tiemann said...

LOVE this.

(And how is Maddie this big already?! Stop growing!)