Thursday, September 8, 2011

All in a day's work...

This post is for those who wonder what I do for a living. You know I work for a church and you see the status updates about wonderful volunteers, circles, connecting peeps, life change, etc. and you wonder what does that girl do? Well, here is a brief look for those of you remotely interested or extremely bored at this moment ;)

Bottom line - I help people who attend my church connect into small groups. The main way we do this is by holding a two-hour event where people have the opportunity to meet people in their same stage of life, same area of town, and choose which group they would like to join.

We take our auditorium which seats about 3,000 people and clear it out!
(And by "we" I mean our awesome facilities team. They rock!)


We then turn the auditorium into what we call a Starbucks on steroids.
There are cafe tables, living room arrangements, coffee, and desserts.


Here's a picture of the stage.
I include this just because I think our production team is completely AWESOME.

Below is a picture of approximately 700 women forming groups at the event on Friday night. Wow!

Here they are at a photo booth in our lobby taking pictures with their new small group.
How fun!

We form men's groups on Thursday, women's groups of Friday, and the married couples' groups on Saturday night. It takes about 150 trained volunteers and about 8 weeks of planning and working on tasks to pull off the weekend. We work hard to organize all the details of the weekend and then watch as God shows up and connects 1,377 people into small groups. Wow!

Of course, I don't do this by myself. I work with two fabulous women who are very talented and gifted. Here is Amy with our Married Couples' Event Team.

Amy is in the second person from the left in the front row. She is a wiz at logistics, processes, and details. She also loves leading our Event Teams.
Doesn't she look like she having a ton of fun?!

Here is a picture of Jill and I after the last event...


Jill is responsible for connecting the men and women into groups. I'm so grateful for her and her leadership. She is not only awesome to work with but a wonderful friend!

I LOVE MY MINISTRY!!

Dan and I've been involved in small groups since 1996 and love having a community of people who are tracking with us. We love circling up weekly with five other couples and looking at God's word together and talking about what is going on in our lives. It's where we are known. This has been a way of life for us as a married couple even before it was my job.

I feel so blessed to get paid to do something I'm so passionate about and for the privilege to be a VERY small part of what God is doing. I'm ridiculously blessed!

And if you have made it this far into the post, I'm also seriously impressed :)

2 comments:

Jill said...

Haha! That picture...I look, oh, I don't know..exhausted and excited and slightly crazy? I guess that's exactly what I was at that moment, though not my most flattering pic. =) Thanks for your sweet words! Our job ROCKS - thanks for taking a chance on me and giving me the opportunity to do it. I love it even more than I thought I would! Thank YOU for being so awesome to work with too!!! I may just link to your blog from my blog in an effort to explain why I haven't blogged in months.

Misti said...

I love that pic! I think you look great! I'm the one with the smile so big you can't see my eyes - I'm all checks. What's up with that?

In all seriousness, I'm so grateful for you and so thankful that we get to do ministry together! Love ya, girl!