Thursday, December 31, 2009

21 Day Fast

Most of you who visit me here know that Jeff (Buckhead Church's campus pastor) has invited the staff and congregation to start the year with 21 days of fasting and prayer. For those of you outside of the ATL here is a link to his blog post about why we are going on this journey.

As I thought about how I would participate, I really felt like a food fast was not for me. I've spent all of 2009 focusing on getting my eating in order and it didn't seem like it was the "thing". What keeps me from spending time with God? What keeps my mind busy with trivial matters and stops me from focusing on God's agenda? Well, you're looking at it. Social media. I love Twitter, Facebook, blogging, and reading other people's blogs. It is amazing how much time I can devote to documenting my life and reading about other people's lives. Please hear me, I'm not saying any of this is bad, I'm just saying it can be a huge time drain and distraction for me.

So, tonight I'm deleting Twitter and Facebook off of my iPhone. For the next 21 days, I won't be updating my blog or pulling up Google Reader to see who has updated their blog. Oh yeah - and no TV. I'm pretty sure I would just substitute TV for the list above. I want to spend the next 21 days unplugged. I want to spend time in God's word, pray, be quiet, and be still (well, as quiet and still as you can be with two small children in the house). Here is the thing - I'm very good at "doing" but horrible at just "being".

I will be praying for the 300,000 people in the Buckhead area who don't attend a church. It isn't about getting them within the walls of my church. The people who live and work around me are precious to God. He is offering them an amazing hope in Christ. Wouldn't it be great if they knew this too?

I'm also personally looking forward to this time with God. It will be hard; it is going to be challenging, but SO worth it. I know that God has been calling me to "pursue health" in 2010. I want to have healthier emotions, a healthier walk with Christ, and healthier relationships. I want to grow but that means pain. Before I dive off into the deep end, I think it is an awesome plan to spend the first 21 days of the New Year seeking Him.

I'll be back before you know it. See you soon! Happy New Year's!!

No comments: