Saturday, May 3, 2008

Potty Training - Update

I've decided that potty training is probably the hardest transition I've had to navigate since becoming a parent. All the other transitions (ending naps in the swing, going from bottle to sippie cup, getting rid of the pacifier, etc.), have gone pretty smoothly. I've realized there are two reasons why the other transitions were easy and potty training has not been:
  1. Luke couldn't talk or argue with me yet
  2. I was in control of the situation
I just removed the item, we dealt with the rough patch, and then never looked backed. However, with potty training, Luke has to decide that he wants to leave the world of diapers behind. He controls whether he wets his pants or lets someone know he needs to go. I can coach, I can encourage, I can bribe (I mean reward), I can yell until I'm blue...bottom line...he is the decision maker in this process.

So, the week has seen its share of ups and downs but Luke is really getting the hang of using the potty. He has even started telling us when he needs go. Woo-hoo. He still has accidents when it comes to #2 but that is to be expected. He is doing really well and I'm VERY proud of him!!

3 comments:

Karen S. said...

I would try potty training rewards. It really worked great for my son. Here is the website. www.pottytrainingrewards.com

Anonymous said...

I agree. Hardest transition ever. Letting the girls "cry it out" doesn't hold a candle to the nightmare that is potty training at the Peters' house. Sounds like you're pretty much done. Can I send Charlotte over for awhile?

Misti said...

Hey Katie,

Well, I wouldn't say we are done. Luke had an accident before he left the house and wet all clothing sent to weekday with him today. Is there a Drive correlation? Maybe he is out of his routine? I'm not sure. So, you may want to hold off on sending Charlotte over :)

Misti