Friday, May 7, 2010

Potty Training - End of Day 1

Well, the day has come to an end and I'm pretty excited about that. To gain some perspective, I looked back at my post at the end of Luke's 1st potty training day. Maddie has exceeded Luke's first day and not in a good way. Maddie has 7 pairs of underwear and by 11 am she had wet 6 of them. At that point, I put a diaper on her and decided we would pick up after nap time.

She basically had no desire to sit on the potty. I couldn't even reward her with an M&M because she wouldn't sit on the potty long enough to accidentally pee in the potty. Ugh! So, after lunch I decided to give her one M&M and put the full bag on the kitchen counter in her line of sight. She asked for another one. I informed her that she needed to go pee or pooh on the potty to get another one. She cried and threw a fit but I stood my ground. She still refused to even sit on the little potty. What's up with that?

Then something amazing happened. As we were getting ready for her nap, she took off her diaper on her own, climbed up on the big toilet, and went to the bathroom. Woo-hoo! She got her M&M and was so pleased with herself. It took a long time to get her into bed for her nap because she just kept climbing up on the toilet. Stinker!

By the time Dan got home from work, I was pretty done for the day. Potty training Maddie has been complicated by the presence of one Mr. Luke. He is a force when you are just hanging and when you are working on something as trying as potty training... Well, it doesn't make the task any easier. I'm glad Dan is home the next two days and can help keep the Luke-man entertained. This girl needs reinforcements!

1 comment:

Julie Tiemann said...

So glad you're blogging about this so I can learn from all your wise ways! Although with Amelia's diagnosis today, I'm not sure it's wise to try next weekend now... She did ask to go potty two days ago, I put her on, and she "tee teed"! I wasn't prepared with my stuff yet, so that's all that's come of it so far...

Looking forward to hearing about day two, and crossing my fingers for you.

(Thanks for your super kind comment on my blog, by the way. I really do appreciate it.)