Saturday, May 8, 2010

Potty Training - End of Day 2

Okay, we are at the end of day 2 and I'm fighting the "I'm a big failure" feeling. I hate that feeling because it isn't true but unfortunately so easy to wallow in. If I look back over the day, there has been progress.

Maddie is learning to control her bladder for longer periods of times. She had wet 6 pairs of underwear by 11 am yesterday. The thought of holding it had never occurred to her before. By 10 am today, she had only peed once and it was in the potty. Woo-hoo!! Yeah for bladder control.

The frustrating part is she only peed in the potty once today. Period. As the day wore on, she became more and more resistant to trying to go on the potty. Twice she peed on the floor not minutes after being on the potty. I could sense both of us getting frustrated which isn't good. So, she spent time in a diaper before nap time and after dinner.

I need to remember for the past two years it has been totally acceptable for her to pee in her pants. I'm changing the rules and that will take time for her to learn. Unfortunately, having patience is an area of struggle for me.

So tonight I'm asking questions. Do I push on and do full on training tomorrow? Do we take a break tomorrow, enjoy Mother's Day, and start back on Monday? Do we just bag it for awhile, everyone go back to school and work on Monday, and try again another day? Decisions, decisions. I'll let you know what I decide :)

1 comment:

Julie Tiemann said...

I know you're not asking ME these questions, but my vote is to take Mother's Day off. If it's frustrating to both of you, then it won't be a good day, and YOU, Misti, deserve a good day! But, I also understand wanting to push on through and give it another good shot before Monday. Either way, I hope it's a fabulous Mother's Day for you!!