Thursday, March 24, 2011

Surgery Update

Well, I'm on the backside of surgery and recovering nicely. The surgery on Friday was--well--surgery. What can I say? It's never pleasant having an organ removed from your body. However, I found the experience much more doable once we had the pain under control. Phew!

On Tuesday, I got the pathology report and the thyroid did have a cancerous tumor. So, the good news was we didn't remove a healthy organ for not. The bad news was we were now dealing with the "C" word. Ugh!

I meet with my endocrinologist this morning and she informed me that she didn't see a need for the standard treatment which is radioactive iodine. Since she caught the tumor when it was so small, and considering my age, my health, and family history the risks of radioactive iodine outweighed the benefits. Yahoo!! To say I'm excited would be a slight understatement!

The taming of the medication beast begins tomorrow. It turns out the functions your thyroid performs for you are kind of important. Bet you never even thought to say thanks, have you? :) With that said, modern medicine is pretty fabulous and they have some pretty good meds to pick up the slack of the missing thyroid. Of course being the results orientated gal that I am, I'm glad to have the surgery phase behind me and looking forward to tackling the medication phase. Booyah!

4 comments:

KatieMGreen said...

Yay!! Great news! Hope you are feeling better and better everyday!!

Julie Tiemann said...

Sorry to hear you heard the "c" word, but what a fabulous praise that they caught it so early!!!! WooHOO!!!

Definitely gonna be thinking of you these next few weeks and months because I know taming the medication beast can be quite arduous. But if anyone can kick that beast in the arse, it's Misti Mancini. You go, girl!

Joy C. said...

Thanks for the update girlie! We have been thinking about you and praying for a full recovery. That is definitely positive news. You can figure out the meds. There may be some hiccups, but if there is one thing that I know it's this... you are strong and full of courage. You will come out on top. Looking forward to seeing you back soon! :)

Regina said...

So thankful for God's directing you to wonderful care and an early diagnosis. Will continue to pray for wisdom for the doctor as to the right amount of medication your body needs and for continued healing.